Monday, February 16, 2015

Smith River


Its finally time for me to talk about our Smith River trip. Zac and I decided that we wanted to take a little trip, just the two of us. Originally we thought we would get some good fishing in but because of how clear the water was the fishing just wasn't good. However, that didn't  matter because we still had the most amazing time!

Zac had to work Friday and didn't get off work till Saturday morning so as soon as he got home we started our drive up north. It worked out nicely because I ended up having to leave work early Friday night because I was sick. So even though I would of liked to take off earlier it was nice to have a day (Saturday) to be able to just sit in the truck and not do anything. Luckily by Sunday I was feeling much better.

It took us about five and half hours to get there. I have never been that far north on the 101. It was a very beautiful scenic drive. Its always a little nerve wracking heading to an unknown place….. I don't mean going to the Smith River, I just mean renting a cabin just from the pictures….you just never know!

Luckily when we arrived it was beautiful! Zac, ya done good. As we got settled in it just kept getting better and better. We were staying on a ranch. There was a large main house where Im assuming the owners lived and then throughout the property not only did we have the river coming right through but also three little cabins. We stayed in the Ravens Nest. It had a full kitchen VERY well stocked. A living room, bedroom, two bathrooms, laundry and my favorite part a deck with a hot tub that looked out onto the river. Heaven.


Like I said, by Sunday I was starting to feel MUCH better. Nothing that a little hot tubbin doesn't fix. We arrived to the cabin around 5:00, just in time to start making dinner. So we cooked dinner, went in the hot tub and headed to bed.  The next morning we woke up and were ready to check the place out. We cooked some breakfast and then walked down to the river rods in hand.  We started off right by the cabin and after getting no bites moved from one hole to the next. We found this one spot that was absolutely gorgeous. (See first picture) Its like we had our own private beach, the teal water AND a waterfall. If it wasn't so cold out I would of loved to walk right in and go for a swim. Might have to go back sometime in the summer when its a little warmer out. By then it was already lunch time so we headed back to our cabin to make lunch. We did a little more fishing afterwards and then back to the cabin to settle in for the night.

For day two we headed back to our gorgeous fishing hole just to give it another try. After no bites we decided we would hop in the truck and do a little exploring. We did some research  and decided to try out another fishing hole that was further down the river. We saw a few drift boats going down the river while we were there. I felt kind of bad because the fishing wasn't very good and Im thinking those poor people probably paid $400 to drift down the river and not catch anything….but hopefully they had better luck then we did.

So like I said, even though the fishing was no good the scenery was so beautiful it really didn't matter. We had so much fun just being outside and enjoying each others company.
The water was so turquoise it almost looked like someone put dye in it! So our second day it was a little warmer. We were actually able to take off our coats and enjoy the sun. We tried our fishing a bit more at our new hole and then decided it was time to explore…even more! So back in the truck and off we drove up the coast. Zac was in the mood for a milkshake so we were trying to find that for him. We almost made it to Oregon but then decided we might have better luck if we head towards crescent city.  So we found a place to get some food and then headed over to the beach to check that out.

And that was the final day at the Smith River. Our last night at the cabin was dinner and the hot tub. Perfect end to a perfect getaway.

Hopefully we will be able to plan another trip up there when we can catch some salmon! Until next time.





"I am most
ALIVE
among the 
TALL trees"

No comments:

Post a Comment