Sunday, December 4, 2016

Hayfork


Here we all are! At the top of Hayfork Bally.  This year Zac and I weren't backpacking in Arizona so we were able to make it up to Hayfork to spend thanksgiving with his grandpa Gary.

We left very early on Wednesday morning. I was a little concerned about the trip because all the boys had decided to drive the trucks that they all built.  I was hoping that we would make it there! We were quite the sight rolling down the road in three custom built 1940's and 50's Dodge trucks. It wasn't the most comfortable road trip I've done but it was a fun adventure and we made it there! I think it ended up taking us about 5 and half hours to get there. We were driving pretty slow and made quite a few stops.  I was hoping that we would have a little snow for when we were hunting for our christmas trees….well my wish came true!

Once we arrived in Hayfork we stopped at grandpa Garys shop to say hi and show off the trucks.  Grandpa Gary loaded up in Nicks truck and we headed up the mountain to try and find our trees! At first we thought we would all be able to make it to the top but as we climbed up the mountain the snow started to deeper and deeper! Finally Steves CEO stopped and couldn't make it up the mountain ( two wheel drive). So we had to end up ditching the COE before the top and Steve and Cindy piled in Nick and our trucks. Luckily we weren't TO far from the top.  As soon as we were there grandpa Gary said we had 30 minutes before we needed to head back down the mountain! He was worried about the icey drive down…..we were there longer then 30 minutes! Nick and grandpa Gary walked right over to where they have stashed a tree from last year and boom, they were done! Unlike Zac and I who searched all over for the perfect tree! Let me tell you although the snow is beautiful and makes for lovely scenery it sure is hard to find a tree when its covered with snow!  For some odd reason I always choose a tree that seems to be in the most difficult place! I picked one that we had to drag all the way back up to the top but we managed.

We were all able to find our trees and take some cute pictures before we headed back down the mountain. We arrived at Steves truck and had to make a Dodge train to get him down.  It was fairly thick snow and with his truck being 2 wheel drive with no weight in the back we didn't want him to be sliding down the mountain. Zac drove in the front with a tow strap so that we could pull him down and Nick was in the back with a tow strap so he could keep the back of his truck from sliding around. 

We were cold and wet when we got back to grandpa Garys house and it felt so good to change into warm dry clothes and enjoy a glass of wine.  We deserved it! We had a early morning and a long day so bed was just what we needed!

The next morning we were up and it was Thanksgiving day! Cindy had pre-made most of the food and Karen already had the turkey in the oven.  Zac wanted to head down to the shop to pick up some things and boy did we. It was like a gold mine for him! He kept walking around saying he needed this and needed that! Finally he started to slow down. I happened to find a few things for myself as well! Grandpa Gary had this cute little turquoise vintage heater and crab pots! I have been telling Zac I wanted to try crabbing this year so I was very excited to see all those pots sitting there. We were going to have Thanksgiving lunch at about 1:00 so we needed to head back to the house to help and enjoy.  

Thanksgiving lunch was delicious! I can't believe it came and left so quickly. Before we knew it we were all stuffed! Zacs dad wasn't feeling very well so he was going to take a nap while the rest of us decided to head up to the Kelly Mine.  Grandpa Gary used to work in the mines and he wanted to take us there to show us.  Luckily the drive wasn't as long as up to the Hayfork Bally and there was barely any snow.

I was a little surprised to see such a tiny hole in the mountain to get into the mine, I pictured a mine cave how I see them in the movies! Before I knew it grandpa Gary was down on his knees crawling through the hole! Then Zac went in and finally Nick.  I went back to let Cindy know what was going on and had no plan on going into the mine but then I started thinking why wouldn't I go!? So down into the mine I went! I found the boys maybe 40-50 feet down into the tunnel.  I took a look around got a few pictures and then headed back out to let Cindy know what was going on.  Cindy was asking me a few questions about the mine and before I knew it she was crawling in behind me to check things out! 
Once we were done exploring we headed back to the house to take it easy.  We spent the rest of the evening just chatting and enjoying each others company.  We planned on leaving in the morning. It was such a quick trip but it was so much fun! We didn't end up bringing Hudson which I am glad we didn't. Although he would of LOVED the snow with the weiner dogs and Dozer running around it would of been to much!

The next morning we were up and ready to head back to Sonoma County. We didn't want to leave to late because it was forecasted to snow on the way home and the last time it was snowing on the way home the COE got stuck and we had to tow it out! So we were hoping that would not have to be the case! It was the perfect trip and I was happy that everyone made it safely there and safely home!


No comments:

Post a Comment