Saturday, April 18, 2020

12) It only takes one

This last week as been a difficult one. Everything seems to be a blur but I will try and remember as much as I can. I think I wrote about having my 4 follies and being able to move forward with the egg retrieval. Well on Saturday I went in for more blood work and another ultrasound to see if we were still on track for a retrieval on Monday. My doctor said she might want me to be on the meds a bit longer until she saw I had one big follie at about 18mm. Once she saw that she thoughts a Saturday trigger and Monday retrieval would be the way to go. I was thankful because Zac and I have Monday off so scheduling wise it just makes things a bit easier. I am still concerned about the amount of follicles because not all of them can have eggs. It also seems like with the research I have done so many of them don't make it past the 3-5 day transfer. So my odds arn't very good. 

That brings us to today, Monday. Surprisingly I wasn't feeling very nervous yesterday however this morning when I woke up there it was. My appointment was scheduled for 9:30 and we were to arrive at 9:00. They don't want you to eat anything after midnight with having the IV sedation. When Im nervous I don't want to eat so that didn't bother me one bit. I put on my old juicy couture sweatsuit, put on some nice warm socks and grabbed my PIO (Progestorone In Oil) injection that they were going to give to me after the procedure. Our drive was very short and before I knew it we were sitting in the waiting room. They had both Zac and I initial some paperwork and then it was time for me to head back to the room. We went all the way to the back and there was a sweet looking man in the room waiting (my anesthesiologist ) Zac and I said hello and then I was sent to the restroom to get into my gown and empty my bladder. 

I walked back into the room and the nervous feeling was definitely creeping up on me. They had me lay down on the table an the anesthesiologist started to ask me a few questions and then he gave me a play by play on exactly what he was going to do. He told me he was going to add some medication into my IV that would relax me. I was a bit skeptical because I just felt the nervousness over powering me. He added it and BOOM. I felt it almost instantly. The ceiling started to move around and I felt relaxed and that I didn't care what was going on! I turned around to look and give Zac a smile.

I was feeling good. A few minutes later ( I think) My doc headed into the room. She told me to scoot my butt down on the bed and told me that my socks were cute! She had given me a hard time about my nail polish the other day because I had silver and she said it was a winter color so I had painted my nails the brightest orange just for her. I told her and she pulled off one of my socks to take a peak. The sweet man to my right told me he was going to put me to sleep and Zac gave me a kiss goodbye. And I was out.

I started to wake up and it almost felt like a dream, like I could hear what we were talking about but wasn't coming to. Finally I just woke up and Zac was in the room with me. I asked him right away how many eggs we got and he said two. My heart sank. Two? Thats it? Very disappointing but I guess thats how this process has been going. Then he reminded me that we only need one. I just know that most of these eggs don't make it to the embryo status so its a bit upsetting. All I can do is wait and see though. So after the procedure one of the medical assistants gave me my first PIO injection. It was a bit uncomfortable but felt pretty comparable to the other injections Ive been getting. The break was nice while it lasted. 

So my next step is to hurry up and wait. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a phone call to see if my two little eggs are making the cut. If they do then Wednesday at 10:30 will be my transfer. I am SO hoping we have two to transfer but if we don't at least one. The hard thing with the process is that we can go through all of this and end up with nothing to transfer. At least the retrieval is not as bad as I thought. With those nice relaxing medications I won't mind doing that again.

So I pray that those two little eggs she got are strong ones and they make it until Wednesday! If not we might be looking at this whole thing ALL over again since we had nothing to freeze. All the good thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment